Monday, September 15, 2008

Playing for the parish

SDLP MLA and Irish speaker, Patsy McGlone, is mentioned in today’s Irish News – and not in the politics section where you might expect to find him. McGlone pops up in Kevin Madden’s weekly GAA column, Madden on Monday. Madden writes:

“Politics and sport don’t mix. I never paid any attention to this old adage – until now. As the better half and I approached our table at the Irish News Ulster All Stars night, I was greeted by Patsy McGlone, a local politician. Although not overly familiar with him, I did recognise the name and immediately placed him as a Sinn Féin representative for mid-Ulster – or so I thought …

“So I mentioned a young fella that I knew, who did some canvassing for his party in South Antrim. He had never heard of him. So, I kept digging, and proceed to tell how he assisted Mitchell McLaughlin in a recent election. As the lead balloon plummeted to the floor, Mr McGlone replied: “I think you have the wrong party, friend. I’m in the SDLP.””

You really couldn’t make that up. Still, on the positive side for Patsy, everyone who read the Irish News today now knows the colour of his team jersey – it’s McGlone in the red and green of the SDLP jinxing past McLaughlin and Sinn Féin’s blanket defence!

3 comments:

truth and justice said...

I think this problem of identity is endemic throughout the SDLP party - too many reps of the SDLP are not recognisable (when they manage to get one) this should be mandatory - to the voters - by the way where were the SDLP on the politics show on Sunday? - have they 'gone away' too like the IRA?

Pol said...

To be fair to be Patsy, he is a representative in Tyrone and Madden played his football with Portglenone in Antrim. There is no reason Madden would know him that well as they come form opposite sides of the loch. I don't think I could identify MLAs from every party. We all tend to know our local ones but that is it. As to getting a little recognition, that is easy - send in press releases (no more than 200/300 words) to the local paper with, most important!, (a) a mug shot of the politician and (b) an 'action' pic of the councillor/MLA with local residents, highlighting a local issue. Papers need material and if you send it in on a regular basis it will be used. If it were me, I would have a rota of local MLAs/councillors sending in a press release every week to their local papers. That would certainly help get them recognised

Anonymous said...

I couodn't agree more with you Pol but try telling this to many of them ......